I just love rescuing things! I think you will see this again and again on my blog. Today it is this unfortunate little topiary. I bought it at a garage sale, and I swear the woman who sold it to me must have thought I was crazy to want it! As you can see, the bright green leaves and sponge-painted pot weren't exactly screaming "beautiful" and "refined." More like "sad" and "really ugly."
Don't worry, though, we can fix that. I started out by spray painting the pot to cover the, um, interesting paint design. Joy recommended using this new little gadget she found for spray painting, and I gotta say, it's fantastic! Super-easy to use: just attach it to the nozzle of the spray paint can and pull the trigger. No gooky fingers! I wrapped the base of the topiary in tin foil so that it wouldn't get a dose of black paint in the process.
Ahhh...much better already! Actually, once I got the plastic ivy off, the mossy base layer was quite pretty. I think the next time I will use moss instead of leaves, since I liked the look so much.
Then, all I did was grab the glue gun to affix my new (less fake and plastic) leaves!
I am working on a little topiary collection for my dining room. I think they look so cute grouped together. So much fun to bring something back to life!