9.16.2008

Small Town Bargains in Colorado

As promised, today I want to share with you a few of the treasures I picked up on my Colorado road trip.  There were so many little shops in these charming mountain towns, it was all I could do not to stop at every single one!  

Anyway, on to the goods.  This first one is a sheepskin jacket that looks absolutely adorable with jeans.  We found in this little vintage shop so I have no idea where it came from, but it is so cute!  The only downside is that I am already too big in the belly for it to zip up, so I guess I will have to wait for next winter.  Got it for $65!  Just to put that in perspective, we checked out this swanky leather shop in Telluride and Brent fell in love with a men's sheepskin jacket...for $1,800.  Which one would you buy?  :)

Next is an item I didn't even know I wanted, but it fell in my lap and I couldn't resist.  At a little antique shop in Montrose, this little guy was selling for $22.  It looks so perfect sitting in a sunny corner of my kitchen, and it holds all my onions and potatoes.  All it needed was a good cleaning.  You should have seen me trying to wrestle it into our backseat next to Nina, even strapping it into a seat belt so it would be safe on the drive!

Last (but not least, not by a long shot!)  is my favorite find of the week.  We were in a thrift shop in Aspen when I saw this quilt.  It had a sign on it that said "Display Items Not For Sale" and I was so bummed out.  On a whim I asked about it as I was leaving.  The woman told me that earlier in the day they had decided that they could no longer keep things on display and not allow them to be sold...so they sold it to me for $50!  Can you believe it?  The quilt is at least big enough for a full-size bed, hand-stitched, in perfect condition.  Why would anyone ever give this up?  I washed it three times and here it is on my guest room bed!

Love love love!  So many colors that it will go with nearly anything!  Yippee for yurts and road trips and even peeing in the woods if it means finding treasures like this!


36 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love that wood box in the corner...it looks great! The quilt is so sweet...how fun to find such great treasures!
-Sandy Toes

Anonymous said...

Great buys! Love the jacket and the quilt.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a bargain on that jacket.....you made some wonderful purchases my friend!!

You crack me up....yes, peeing in the woods would be worth it to find little treasures like these!

Lisa

Wendy said...

Such great treasures. How fun!
Love the quilt.

Marie said...

Great box and jacket. And the quilt is a STEAL! Way to go!

Jboo said...

Wow -- what great finds!! Lovely jacket, potato box and quilt. You are a one great shopper, aren't you! Have a good week!

Janet

Anonymous said...

Fantastic finds especially the quilt. So many colors to work with.

Carry Grace said...

You did have some good finds. The quilt is beautiful!

Shannon said...

AWESOME finds!! I love it all!

Shannon said...

AWESOME finds!! I love it all!

Inspired Kara said...

What great finds!!!!

That quilt looks perfect, and I can just see that coat with dark jeans, a great turtle neck and boots!! Bring on the cool weather!

Shannon said...

The quilt is beautiful. Repurposing the box to store potatoes was a good idea, too- I could use something similar, but smaller in my pantry.

Sounds like some fun shopping ( :

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Cute finds! I love finding cute little shops where you can find unique fun stuff!

Joanna said...

What some great finds! I had a box that was just like that and it actually had the words potatoes and onions on it. Looks great! The quilt is just beautiful!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Great finds! I can't believe you found that quilt for $50! It looks great!

Unknown said...

Love the jacket and that quilt makes me want to curl up somewhere and sleep.

Tausha said...

that quilt was the steel of the day! I am with you, why would one want to part with this? It will go with everything, that alone was worth the trip~

the tattered nest said...

you lucky girl! i love the wood bin! i have bin envy!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

What a great bargain for that quilt - it's beautiful!

Twice as Nice said...

You did good. Nothing better than a warm coat or quilt in the winter. So comfy.

Amanda said...

it is so fun to go antiquing/thrifting when on vacation - great finds!
amanda

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

It's good to stop back by your site again. I always love reading your posts.

Love the deals you got, especially the jacket. I want one!!!

Faith said...

I am loving the quilt! Great find!

Amy said...

It's such a great feeling when you're shopping and things go your way! Great finds! I especially love the jacket - what a classic!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Carrie, looks like you've been treasure hunting too.

On stenciling that pumpkin, it was a little bit tricky to keep the paint from smearing, but the stencil I used is one long one & I just had to move it a little at a time. It worked out pretty well & not too many smears. Now, there is some neat rub-ons out there too. Go & take a look at Manuela's pumpkins at The Pleasures of Homemaking. She's on my sidebar & did some white pumpkins with rubons. Those would be way easier!

Shannon said...

Hey Carrie- I'd love to share the Pumpkin Roll recipe. If you click on the link in the first sentence of my post, it should take you to a post where I published the recipe. If it doesn't, let me know and I can e-mail it. The recipe makes two rolls which will be gone before you know it ( :

Jo said...

Ooooh, what fun goodies!
Jo :)

Amanda said...

its not the norm! glad you're back!...
ahj

Harbor Hon said...

Such lovely items you found! Wow! I want to go with you next time and check these places out. :)

You have a good eye and I'm glad the quilt came up for sale while you were there. xxoo

Anonymous said...

wowza, I would have snapped up those same things, but mostly the quilt, I've been on the thrifting lookout for one of those for the last 6 yrs with aboslutely not even a sniff of one, and for that price a true delight!

Sarah

Empty Nest Full Life said...

That quilt is my absolute favorite! What a bargain. I do love quilts! Looks like you had fun. Jackie

Our Complete Family said...

Way, way, way good finds girly! Even if you can't zip your coat all the way you'll be so gosh darn cute preggers wearing it anyhow! And the quilt and box? LOVE THEM BOTH! xo

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no idea "thrift store" and "Aspen" could fit in the same sentence! My recollections of Aspen consist of Dior, Gucci, and all other things too expensive for me. :-)

Jodee said...

I would definitely pee in the woods to find treasures like these! Way to go!

Jenny said...

Adorable Quilt! I am so jealous and such a steal at $50.

AMY said...

OH MY GOSH! I have this exact same quilt. My husband bought it for me at Pottery Barn when our second child was born 4 years ago on clearance...it still was not $50! Enjoy! I still love mine.