12.17.2010

Distraction Decorating in the Family Room

Happy Friday!

As promised, I want to show you our new family room, with some Distraction Decorating techniques thrown in. Here's a photo of the room on the day we toured the house, taken on my cell phone. Yikes.

As with the kitchen photos, just using a good camera and lighting makes a big difference. But here's a photo of the same room, from the same angle, today:

Just hanging my faithful buffalo check curtains warmed up this room immensely. (Since I always get this question, I'll go ahead and tell you that I made the curtains with fabric from Calico Corners. I believe it's just called Buffalo Check, in the color Bisque.)

The Christmas decorations make a big difference in cozy-ing up the room too!

I don't have a true dining room in this house, but this nook of the family room has a chandelier, so it seemed like the place for my dining set. We had our first meal here when my family came to visit last weekend, and it's actually quite charming to eat within view of the fireplace and Christmas tree, rather than in a separate room. But don't look too closely or you'll see the dust on that table...oops!
I painted the walls "Vanilla Brandy" by Olympic. I really like it, though I wish I had gone a shade darker. Oh well, maybe in the next house! (But please, God, not for a few years...I am so tired of moving!)
The fireplace creates one of my favorite scenes. Sitting here at night is so cozy! And, just like in the kitchen, putting some area rugs around the room helps to distract you from the older carpet in the house.
Lest you think I am some kind of miracle worker, the rest of my house is very incomplete! But I wanted this room to feel finished so we could relax and enjoy it for Christmas. It helps me forget the boxes that wait for me in some of the other rooms!

I hope you all have a great weekend!


16 comments:

Angie said...

Beautiful Carrie!! It's amazing what you have done! I love your fireplace and the mirror with your monogram.

duchess said...

Looks great - I want to snuggle up with a book on that sofa. You're doing a great job working with what you have & it's nice that they let you paint.
Enjoy your weekend.

Mama Sue said...

Wow Carrie, I'm so inspired! You have been through so much with all the moves and your house looks fabulous so far. I've been in the same house for 14 years with old carpet so I am truly inspired and proud of you for keeping it all together! The thought of packing and moving really boggles my mind.

Andrea said...

How's that for a before and after! Very, very beautiful and soooo cozy!

Heidi said...

I can't believe how cozy it is - you're doing a great job and I'm very impressed - even if the other rooms are full of boxes!

Elisha said...

gorgeous! i wish i had your energy!

misty w. said...

Beautiful...just beautiful!!! Love it! Merry Christmas!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

ahhhhh! can i come live with you?! i love everything about this picture. it is incredible how much warm and coziness you have created in these rooms - well done!

SJ said...

I'm amazed that you have even these two rooms so put together, especially with all the busy-ness that goes with Christmas. I swear my house doesn't look this cohesive and we didn't even move!

The Hooper Family said...

Beautiful! I love the fireplace set up too, its just gorgeous! Speaking of your lovely curtains, I saw a Waverly pattern similar to it the other day and immediately thought of yours! :)

Jodee said...

You are soooo good! I especially love the big windows and fireplace! Enjoy your new home!

Buttercup Bliss said...

You are very talented! I love what you are doing with your new home!

asnipofgoodness said...

so very cozy, and inviting! You did a terrific job, and I am so impressed. It is for sure a room to enjoy the holidays in!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Absolutely beautiful, cozy, charming, and adorable!! LOVE it!!

Chrystie said...

Wow! It's beautiful!! So homey, but w/style! I love it! :) I love all the windows too! The fireplace is so cozy & inviting! Great job!

Anonymous said...

We have leather couches as well, and I've been torn about the dark furniture we have to go with them. I love the white! It brightens everything up....just what I was looking for. When I look for something new, I am definitely going with some white in the living room. Thanks.