6.09.2010

Subway Sign Specialty!

It all started because I was reorganizing my decorating inspiration photos. I found this:

And then I saw this:

And the clincher? Could you just die over this?

Then, to make matters worse, a few weeks ago I spotted this tall frame (about four feet high!) at a garage sale for $3. Do you see where this is headed?

First, I spray painted the frame gold. But then it was, you know, too gold. Like, Follow the Yellow Brick Road or We All Live in a Yellow Submarine. Gold.

Luckily, I had this fancy collection of Rub 'n' Buff. Have you ever heard of it? Hello, I love this product! I rubbed the Antique Gold color to dull it down. Just used my fingers and a few cotton balls, rubbed it on and then kind of buffed it after a few minutes. Perfection!

Much less Yellow Submarine, and all kinds of classy-looking. Took five minutes. I love results like that! (And because someone always asks, I will tell you that you can find Rub 'n' Buff at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, art supply stores, or their website).

Then I finalized the color with a bit of furniture stain (Minwax Dark Walnut) to bring out the details of the frame. Here's a little sneak peak into what I made, but stay tuned for Friday's post and the full reveal!

Tutorial coming, too, I promise!


11 comments:

duchess said...

Can't wait to see how you did that. Looks great.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Oooh, I can't wait either!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Loving this! What a great frame you found!! Can't wait to see how you did it :).
Blessings,
Stacey

Jboo said...

Wow -- so sweet! Can't wait to see the final outcome!

Janet

Linda S said...

very cool idea. LOVE!

High Heels and Aprons said...

LOVE IT! - Hey - that first picture from your inspiration book... those are Seattle neighborhoods... ironically there are no subways in Seattle!

Desiree said...

Oh I can't wait to see the final reveal! You find the best stuff at garage sales and thrift stores. I need to head over to your neck of the woods one of these weekends and try to score some of my own.
-Desiree

Amaco said...

Carrie,

Love the look. I think I'm going to have to try this in my own home. Looking forward to your post tomorrow. Also wanted to let your followers know they can find Rub 'n Buff at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, on the AMACO website, or art supply stores.

Val said...

Wow, this is awesome. I just might have to try this. = )

mom21xy said...

I recognize something on there!!

momof3girls said...

Thanks for the step by step instructions! too cute