I had a great weekend, how about you? We did lots of family stuff, but in between all the action I managed to tweak my family room a bit. Below is a photo of the family room "before." Mainly I have been frustrated by that cavernous area above my fireplace. I would so much rather have a traditional fireplace and mantle, but since that's not happening, I just keep tweaking!
The lamp you see up there has a red lampshade. I decided I wanted a break from the red, so I grabbed a lampshade I had picked up at Goodwill for $4 awhile back (pre-Henry!).
It was rather plain, so I scrounged around for some fabric that I also had lying around. In order to cover the lampshade, I first had to trace it onto the fabric so that I could cut the right size. I ended up with a "U" shape when it was all done.
Then I grabbed my spray adhesive to affix the fabric to the lampshade. I did this on my deck because I learned the hard way that that adhesive is no fun to scrub off your kitchen countertops!
I also folded down a simple "seam" where the fabric meets (vertically down the length of the lampshade), and ran a bead of glue down the whole thing to hold it. Then, once the main fabric was glued down, I just needed to seal the top and bottom edges. First, I made a few snips in every few inches of the fabric so that it would be easier to glue down.
I used my handy glue gun to glue the edges of the fabric to the inside of the lampshade. Then I just trimmed off the excess when I was finished.
I also opted to move in a bookshelf that used to live upstairs in the loft. I feel like the space needed something a little more bulky to the right of the cavern.