4.27.2009

Living Room Tweaks and a Lampshade Tutorial

I had a great weekend, how about you?  We did lots of family stuff, but in between all the action I managed to tweak my family room a bit.  Below is a photo of the family room "before."  Mainly I have been frustrated by that cavernous area above my fireplace.  I would so much rather have a traditional fireplace and mantle, but since that's not happening, I just keep tweaking!

The lamp you see up there has a red lampshade.  I decided I wanted a break from the red, so I grabbed a lampshade I had picked up at Goodwill for $4 awhile back (pre-Henry!).  

It was rather plain, so I scrounged around for some fabric that I also had lying around.  In order to cover the lampshade, I first had to trace it onto the fabric so that I could cut the right size.  I ended up with a "U" shape when it was all done.

Then I grabbed my spray adhesive to affix the fabric to the lampshade.  I did this on my deck because I learned the hard way that that adhesive is no fun to scrub off your kitchen countertops!

I also folded down a simple "seam" where the fabric meets (vertically down the length of the lampshade), and ran a bead of glue down the whole thing to hold it.  Then, once the main fabric was glued down, I just needed to seal the top and bottom edges.  First, I made a few snips in every few inches of the fabric so that it would be easier to glue down.

I used my handy glue gun to glue the edges of the fabric to the inside of the lampshade.  Then I just trimmed off the excess when I was finished.  

Here is my new lampshade, complete with a few new accents, in my family room "cavern!"

I also opted to move in a bookshelf that used to live upstairs in the loft.  I feel like the space needed something a little more bulky to the right of the cavern. 

I am happier with the room this way!  It feels a little more cohesive, with a more neutral color palette.  Amazing what one little lampshade can inspire me to do!


41 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it funny how we always want what we don't have? We have a traditional mantel and I wish I had a bigger space like what you have! Love the lamp, you did a great job!

Ally's Corner said...

Love it! Looks really great.

southerninspiration said...

Hey You ARE getting your creativity rolling again. Babies can take so much (very needed) time and things like this have to take the back burner for a time. I am sure you feel a sense of accomplishment from tweaking this area. It looks great. Enjoy your week!

Suzanne

Unknown said...

Beautiful! It looks so cozy in there!

Stacey said...

Hi Carrie! I think that cavern is neato! I can picture a live plant or two up there? Laughingly I say that because I don't have any houseplants. Your lampshade looks great! One of these days, I will tackle that project.

Betsy said...

What a warm and inviting room. Love the changes.

Natalie Meester said...

You made it look so simple!

I saw some shades at goodwill last week, one was a drum shade. It would be cool hanging above my dining table.

Thanks for a great post and project for me to try!

Jodee said...

You did a great job on the lamp! Hope you have a fun and relaxing week!

Chris said...

I couldn't agree more! Lampshades are such an easy way to mix things up! The lamp looks great!

Darlene said...

I am with Sarah. I would LOVE to have your space instead of a regular mantle area. LOVE the windows all up there!! It looks beautiful. You have it decorated beautifully!

Shannon said...

It looks great! And I love the bookcase in that spot. Very pretty!

Jboo said...

Beautiful!! You definitely still have the touch with your projects and decorating!

Have a great week!

Janet

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Gotta love Colorado caverns! Their my nemesis! Yours looks great. I find as my kids get older and more energetic, I gravitate toward neutral soothing colors - let the energy come from my kids!

Sunny said...

It looks so cozy and warm in there!

the undomesticated wife said...

Very nice! I love the red, but love the tan, too.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

It looked good before but I like the after too! It is crazy how much a lampshade can change up the look of an area! :) Good work!

~ Sarah

Shilo said...

Carrie, that looks really fresh! Always nice to mix things up a bit, isn't it?!

Desiree said...

That looks great! I made my first fabric lampshade cover for Arielle's nursery before she was born. Haven't made one since though...it is tougher than it looks! Good job though! Check out my latest project if you have time. I made a magnet board!

-Desiree

Joanna said...

It looks so inviting. I also need to cover a lamp shade or two. I just hadn't found the material I want to use just yet.

Unknown said...

I love it Carrie! It is absolutely perfect! I am glad you had a nice weekend with your kids! They are so sweet : ).

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

I love it!! and love the way you've decorated=)!

julie & joe said...

I like the shelf you brought in. It really balances the space. It really look great!

Kristi said...

Looks great! And I really like the bookcase added in there. It just brings something.

Our Complete Family said...

Looks great Carrie! Love the spruce up you did!
I bet it felt good to blow the dust off of the ole' glue gun, hu?!? ;)
xo Les

Anonymous said...

Very nice - your living room looks so welcoming!

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Good idea to move that bookcase there - it looks great! Love the lamp! That's one thing I haven't tried yet!

Manuela

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

It is funny how a couple of small changes really make a difference.....I love what you did with the family room!! You have such a great eye for these things!!

Have a great week!

Lisa

Lana said...

That looks great! Isn't it funny how one thing can make such a big difference?

Angie said...

It all looks great! So clean and serene!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Love that lampshade but REALLY love the bookcase there, it's perfect!!

cherry said...

I love the new look Carrie! cherry

Heidi Boos said...

I loved the "before", but now I really love the "after" and I do like that you added the bookshelf. It added a bit of coziness with it. Great job on the lampshade...wish I could come up with doing something like that. My lampshades are in need of a makeover, but I first need to convince my husband before I set to trying to do a little "project" on them. ;)

Christina said...

Looks great. I really like your fireplace. Mine is very traditional and I love your with the ledge. Wanna trade? :)

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I think this looks as though it should be in a magazine!

Mrs of the Regiment said...

The room is so cosy. I love the lamp makeover. I think I am going to have to find myself a lamp.....

Mandi Shandi said...

Love the changes. It just looks so warm and inviting!

sherri said...

The room does look more relaxing and natural. I love the way you decorated the mantle area. Thanks for the shade tutorial!

Ms. Tee said...

So pretty - your house always look so cozy! :)

Happiness Is... said...

I just found your blog, and I love this idea for covering a lampshade! I don't know why I never thought of this...I have two lamps that have been headless (i.e. without lamp shades) for over a year, as I can never find anything I like, but this is the perfect solution!

Jessica said...

You are so talented. Seriously. I'm jealous.

Mandy said...

I just covered a lampshade of mine using your tutorial...SO incredibly EASY!!!

Thank you for sharing & I LOVE your arrangement!