1.07.2011

Rental Bathroom Fixes

First of all, thank you so much for your comments on my last post. The January Blahs have been a little less intense since I wrote, and hearing how so many of you feel the same way...well, that helps a lot! Let's all keep reminding each other that we don't have to let that Christmas influence go, just because December is over!

With that focus on home, I have been taking the past weeks to cozy it up around here. As I mentioned before, we have become home renters in California, after being home owners since we got married. But, since we don't know how long we'll be in California, we didn't want to jump back into another home purchase until we know more about our future here.

Renting has definitely changed my perspective. How do you know how much effort to put in a place that isn't yours? Well, I don't plan on tearing out walls or adding granite countertops, but painting is definitely on the list. Check out my rental bathroom, B.P. ("Before Paint").

It was unoffensive. It was all white. It had a scary sliding door on the bathtub. But I can work with that. I added some green paint, called "Crocodile Tears" by Olympic.

We (cough!...I mean my husband) added an inexpensive bamboo shade on the window, just to warm it up and add some texture. We changed out the light switch covers. Put some cute accessories on the walls. And hung my new monogrammed towels (a lovely giftie from my mom for Christmas!), which just glams it all up in there!

Can you see the shower curtain in the photos? Its a Christmas gift from my sister (who knew my family cared so much about my rental bathroom?), the Audrey Organic Shower Curtain from Pottery Barn. Of course I see it is no longer available on their website, so I guess I'm not the only one who got this for Christmas. But it covers up the dated glass doors, which makes me happy.

The good news is that, except for the paint, I can take all these things with me whenever we leave. So I don't have to feel worried about investing too much, but I can enjoy this rental bathroom for the next few years.

More to come next week. Have a great weekend everyone!


13 comments:

Jodee said...

Wow! You did a fabulous job! I especially love the paint color, shade and shower curtain.

Amanda said...

There is nothing like Monogrammed towels! :) The bath looks great...big changes for little...

The Dreiers said...

Your bathroom looks great! We have become recent renters as well when we sold our home of 7 years in order to move our children to a good school district. From the looks of things, and the hit we took on our house, we will be renting for awhile. We painted everyroom in our rental (3 floors if you include the basement) and have added a lot of personal touches. Next is covering the nasty white linoleom with some inexpensive vinyl tile. (we have fabulous landlords who love that we want to make their home look great) I think with a rental you have to have the mentality that even though it is not your house, it is still your HOME! While you don't want to throw a lot of money into it, making it feel like "you" is well worth it!

Victoria said...

Wow, amazing what a few new accessories and some paint will do! The bathroom looks great.

I really enjoyed your last post. Jan used to be my least favorite month of the whole year but now it's become my friend.

Jboo said...

Beautiful!! You have the touch!! Happy New Year!


Janet

LouLou said...

It looks great! We've been renting for 2 years and plan to stay in this house for a while... We couldn't afford the mortgage on a house this size in this location, and it just works for us... We are blessed, because the owners let us do anything to this house we want to.... We haven't spent too much, but everything I do makes it feel like our home... I know you will have your rental looking like a million dollars.

Lisa & Gerald said...

WOW what a big change..Beautiful my friend...Love the decor....And yep take it with ya..That's great...Hugs..

Kimberly said...

Wow! The paint really warmed it up! I love the changes you've made. I've never had monogrammed towels but I'm thinkin' I may need to change that -- lovely!

Angie Kerr said...

Love this post. We are renters (and have been for quite awhile, with no plans to move any time soon). I have just recently talked my hubby into FINALLY painting! I am so looking forward to adding some color to these walls!

Sherrie said...

It looks fab. You have a flair for decorating!

Desiree said...

Bathroom likes great! I love the Audrey print from PB...so much that I splurged and bought the duvet cover when we got our new king size bed.

-Desiree

Melissa said...

You are completely blooming where you are planted! That shower curtain is to die for~love it.

Aico Furniture said...

Thanks for such a nice post.