1.11.2011

Being Happy With Small Changes

Guys, I think I may be setting some kind of record. We are less than two months into the lease on our new house, and I have ONE...ROOM...LEFT...TO...PAINT. Can I get an Amen?

I can't exactly say why I am so inspired to get things done around here. Maybe it's all the upheaval we've had for the past few months, but I am ready to give my family a place to settle down and make a home. I seem to have some kind of crazy energy that kicks in between the hours of 2-4 p.m. each day (nap time, folks!). Here are my latest results:

This is our front porch. If we owned this place, I'd be scouting house painters to take care of that wood siding. As it is, though, I am content to just do some small things. Starting with that green outdoor carpet. Buh-Bye.

Here is the same front porch a few weeks later. I ripped out the green stuff and found a perfectly serviceable cement step underneath. It was a bit discolored from years of carpet glue, but I doctored it up with some furniture stain. I spread the stain with a sponge brush, then immediately wiped it up with paper towels. Done!

The cement color isn't an exact match, but believe me, it's an improvement!

And here is the even less exciting post-Christmas version of my front porch.

Renting a house is giving me lessons in "good enough" decorating. It's the cousin of "distraction decorating." And I am becoming intimately involved with both!


16 comments:

The Domestic Fox said...

Good job Carrie!! Furniture stain for concrete...what a great idea!! I might have to add that to my "want to do" list for 2011.

Colleen said...

Looks so much better. Love that xmas mat you have. Adorable!

Catherine said...

Your landlord is OK with these changes?

Mama Sue said...

I am amazed at what you have accomplished in such a short time. It looks great...give yourself a pat on the back!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It looks great - lucky girl for finding that energy! I'm usually dying around that time.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

You need to paint the parn star a LOUD lime green or HIP aqua...so we can see it!! Love that the turf is gone!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Looks amazing and rustic...I love it. I am sure you will be making this house a very special "home".

sandy toe

Unknown said...

Great fix! It really looks great.

Your Baby Booty said...

Holy s&%T. I wish our renters would do stuff like this. And if your Landlord weren't okay with you adding value to their house, have them call me;)

Your Baby Booty said...

wow. my grammar stinks. change that to "wasn't" . {eek}

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great posts on loving the home you're in. My husband & I will soon be selling our home and moving into a rental. I worry that I won't enjoy our rental as much as our current home where we are free to make changes. Thanks for your inspiring posts & great ideas!

Chris said...

Great job you've done here. It looks great. I want something like this in many Seattle Homes i am renovating. Thanks for sharing this.

Victoria said...

You are unbelievable! I can't believe you've gotten all that done with 2 small children.

What? You didn't like the green carpet??? ;) Looks great now. Love that front door by the way.

silly eagle books said...

Just found your blog through Your Baby Booty--I love your nursery pics! I'm kind of a decorating nut, too--glad to have found you! I'll be reading!

Lisa & Gerald said...

Love what ya did...Looks great...Have a wonderful day..hugs...

Aico Furniture said...

A posted here a nice decorated doorway.I like it.