1.18.2011

Kids' Rooms in a Rental

This is fun! You guys are a great audience, and thank you for being so complimentary of the changes in our house. Are you ready to see what else we've been up to?

You'll have to look close to see the before and after differences in this post! I wanted to share with you my son Henry's room, but, as usual, my impatience prevented me from getting a true "before" photo. But just notice the white and boring walls before:

And the after: Henry's room is painted "Bristlecone" by Olympic. It's a nice taupe, with some slight overtones of gray. I'll keep saying this: adding paint is the only thing we did in here, and it made such a difference between feeling like a rental and feeling like a home.

We added our usual cowboy accessories in here, mostly focusing on warm browns and reds as the accent colors.

The rug works well in here, although it probably wouldn't have been the one I'd choose if I had an unlimited budget. We liked the price tag though. (Free! It used to be in my husband's basement office in our Colorado house.) The curtains came from Pottery Barn Kids. I love them because they aren't too babyish and can grow with him as his room changes.

And just because this photo cracks me up, I had to leave you with one of Henry in his new digs:

He looks like he could be reading the Wall Street Journal with a latte and a muffin. Nope, it's just his Thomas the Train books. (Big business for a little man of almost two years!)


10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Carrie, thank you for sharing. I've enjoyed participating in your decorating journey! And thank you for posting the name of the brand & color of the paint you've used. I really like this one & may use it in my bedroom as well. It's perfect! Thanks again!

Heather L. said...

It looks GREAT, Carrie! So warm and inviting. That picture of Henry is TOO precious - he looks so grown up! Love it!

The Hooper Family said...

Beautiful as always Carrie!

Windy said...

It looks great! I cannot believe how big he is - doesn't seem like it's been that long since you were waiting on his arrival :)

Connie said...

It is amazing how just a coat of paint changes everything...even our attitudes! Your rooms are looking great. We'll be moving into a rental soon and guess what I will be doing too?? I can't stand white walls either.

Little Henry has gotten so big and CUTE!!! What a cute photo!

Every Day Blessings said...

I am so enjoying watching you put your house together. It proves than any house can be a home, in your case a darling home! Thanks for sharing and I hope that you are adjusting

Sassy In The South said...

Love, love, love!!! Great post - thanks for sharing!!!

Amber said...

Your little man is so cute. He is looking more and more like Nina as he gets older. And his room is adorable.

Jboo said...

Wow Carrie! Beautiful! And when did little Henry get so big?? Wasn't he just a baby last year? What a cutie-pie!

Janet

Lisa & Gerald said...

wow love what you do...Great job so beautiful...