5.17.2010

Unique Herbal Iced Tea

Happy Monday!

I found a great recipe for iced tea that I wanted to share. Don't know about you, but regular old iced tea doesn't do much for me. So when I came across this recipe by the Barefoot Contessa, I immediately adapted it to my own tastes. And you all know how I feel about the Barefoot Contessa. (She's my BFF, though she doesn't know it.)

Here is her original recipe:

4 Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea bags
4 Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea bags
4 cups pure apple juice

Steep the 8 tea bags in 4 cups of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Discard the tea bags. Combine the tea with the apple juice and refrigerate until cold. Serve over ice.

However, I wanted something that would still be sweet, but not have all the sugar and calories from the apple juice. And then I couldn't find the Red Zinger tea bags, so I had to improvise. Here's what I did instead:

4 Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea bags
4 Celestial Seasonings Cranberry Apple Zinger tea bags
4 cups Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry juice

Steep the 8 tea bags in 4 cups of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Discard the tea bags. Combine the tea with the cranberry juice and refrigerate until cold. Serve over ice.

This can just sit in the fridge for drinking every day, but is also fun to serve at a ladies' lunch or baby shower. Now that warm weather is actually here in Colorado, I might actually crave this instead of hot cocoa!

Enjoy!


11 comments:

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Oh yum sounds nice and refreshing. I live in the south where we LOVE our ice tea. I’ll have to give this a try.

Happy Monday to you!
Kendra

http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

Loui♥ said...

Carrie..
I drink Iced tea year round here in Colorado..sometimes. I even have HOT tea..
love the Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon Tea..ummm yummy!
yeah.. warmer is right,,
a bit up from freezing,
but the wind off the mountains can be VERY brisk..
warmest hugs..
Loui♥

Jboo said...

I LOVE iced tea -- am going to write this one down, esp. the diet version!

And what, I'm not your BFF??? :) Maybe i could be your BFF in Nebraska?? Pretty please!! :)

Janet

The Starr Family said...

Oh yum, that sounds delicious! Always game for a new treat!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I love ice tea-however you make it!
This sounds so good, I will try it!

Windy said...

The cranberry juice sounds really good, but being from the south, I can't imagine it with no shugah!:) Going to give it a try though!

prashant said...

I LOVE iced tea -- am going to write this one down, esp. the diet version!
free classified india

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing! I am going to try this very soon!

Natasha in Oz said...

I love iced tea and Ina so I will definitely give this a try! Thanks for sharing this.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Unknown said...

I am in love with this herbal iced tea and my
Iced tea jug
is totally filled with this tea.

Unknown said...

Sharing Best uses of an Iced Tea Pitcher.