3.19.2010

Hallway Landing Switcheroo

I promised I would share with you how I ended up using my fancy $2.50 thrift store frame. In order to do that, we need to take a little walk down memory lane!

Here is the landing on my stairs a year or so ago. I loved having all these black and white photos of my family and friends. It was a nice view to walk past every day!

But all the photos had to come down when we did our loft remodel, and I figured it was a good time to make a few changes. So, for awhile, I hung this mirror and wreath on the landing, but it didn't feel right somehow. Too plain.

Then I finished painting my Goodwill frame, and I figured it would look good as another "layer" on the mirror.

But then I stared at it for a few days and didn't like it. The space needed something else; it was too angular somehow. So back I ran to Hobby Lobby, to purchase a $2.99 grapevine wreath and some fake greenery. Picked up a glue gun, and about ten minutes later I had me a little wreath!

Now I am officially thrilled with the landing. And unexpectedly in love with this wreath! It's great when a problem forces a solution that's even better than the original idea!

And my blue frame has a new home. Can't beat that for $2.50!


20 comments:

Jen said...

Only 2 hours til Hobby Lobby opens! That looks AWESOME! I can't wait to try that on my landing!! You sure are talented, lady ;)

Pam said...

I love it! Looks awesome!

Kim said...

So sweet! I'm thinking of getting an "empty frame" for my fireplace mantel.

duchess said...

Very cute. I love that blue frame.
Have a great weekend.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

LOVE it!

Unknown said...

That's an awesome $2.50 frame. I like the wall; so simple but it works so well. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy

Megan @ Meanwhile... said...

That turned out super cute. Of course, I'd have to put a wreath there just so I didn't catch a glimpse of my pre-coffee self first thing in the am. :)

Jboo said...

You are so clever! What a great idea and your landing looks fabulous! Have a fun weekend!

Janet

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! You're very creative!

Sunny said...

Carrie, I think it looks great! I'm still a fan of the pics though! :) Your home is always cute no matter what you do. You've got great style and taste.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love it! the little wreath is just perfect....where did you get it? any local store that all states have :)!

Very creative!

sandy toe

Shell in your Pocket said...

Okay....I just went back and read more carefully....I know where you got it!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Ooo...I love the layering! But I also have to say I adore your former photo wall too. But sometimes we just need a change. It seems so spring like and fresh.

The Clines said...

Very pretty!

sanjeet said...

You are so clever! What a great idea and your landing looks fabulous! Have a fun weekend!
data entry work from home

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

It's SO pretty! I love the blue frame and the touch of green is just perfect!! :)

~Jennifer
www.studiojru.com

Amber said...

Your new landing looks so fresh for spring! The green and blue is such a crisp spring combination. And I adore how layering adds so much dimension and interest.

Krystal said...

SO cute! What color is painted on your walls there? It looks great with the wood trim. I have wood trim in my home and sometimes find it hard to find colors that look good with it.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

The color on the walls in the hallway is "Cracker Crumb" by Valspar! (Lowes)
Carrie

Amy said...

I love the combination of the striped ribbon, layered frames and the green wreath! So pretty the way you put it together!