I bought these two lamps back in May at a garage sale. $8 for the pair. (Man do I miss garage sale season!)
The color of the wood looked a little dated to me, so I took some paint to them. I brushed it on lightly so that the brown of the original lamp would still come through. Then I covered the bottom (metal) portion with a hammered metal spray paint. (I'm sorry I don't remember the names of the paints I used...I did this part last summer!)
They are now a deep brownish-black. One lives in my upstairs hallway, and the other in my new guest room (still a work in progress!).
I loved everything about these lamps, but the lampshades I bought at W*lMart were a little too gold for me. So I covered the shades with a little burlap (using my method described here) and presto! The evolution is complete.