*Updated to add: I did use one coat of Kilz primer before I started painting. No sanding or other preparation, except where we used the wood filler on the crown molding. In retrospect, I should have done two coats of primer, but live and learn!
OK, not that you have been sitting around with baited breath, but I feel like this project has taken forever! My husband and I tag-teamed on this armoire, purchased on Craig's List over a year ago for $100. Here it is in it's "before" state. Along with my cute husband, ready to get to work!
And here's the after! We (well, he) added crown molding to the top of the armoire to give it more height, and also to keep it from looking so boxy. Then I came along and painted five coats of Behr's "Country Dairy." I may never pick up a paint brush again, I am so sick of painting!
Here's a shot of the original interior. The guy who owned it before had a real gift with woodworking, wouldn't you say?
My husband removed the entire back and replaced it with a panel of wainscoting. We also bought a few more boards so we could add more shelving. Then I painted the inside with a pretty robin's egg blue, which I blogged about here if you'd like to know the "recipe!"
Strange how therapeutic it is for me to open those doors and see our stuff all organized. Sad, I know!
We changed out the hardware, and I went back to rough the edges up with some sandpaper. The "antiqued" effect looks great in our new guest room, which I am excited to show you next week!
Now that it's done (just like so many projects), I am thrilled...but many mutterings were heard throughout my house in the past few weeks! We are off to enjoy the weekend and stay far away from paint brushes and wood filler.