12.18.2008

Homemade Oreo Cookies

OK girls, this is serious.  I went to a party last weekend and I told my friend I would bring something sweet.  This was the perfect opportunity to try a new recipe, because usually around the holidays I feel like I need to stick to "the old standbys" that my family loves.  I know you know what I mean!

But since this was a party, I felt like I could branch out and try a new cookie.  I am SO glad I did!  These are called Homemade Oreo Cookies, and I probably don't need to say much more to get your attention!  But just in case...

...don't they look amazing?  They remind me of those Little Debbie cakes from when we were kids, but they really do taste more like a homemade Oreo.  I dare you to try these and not eat the whole batch!

I found these at one of my favorite cooking blogs, Smitten Kitchen.  Go over there and check out her other amazing recipes!

Homemade Oreo Cookies

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375 degrees.

2. In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

4. To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

5. To assemble the cookies, use a knife to spread the cream onto the flat part of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream.  You could also do this with a pastry bag if you are feeling really fancy.  Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.

6. Try not to eat every single cookie before your family knows you made them!


51 comments:

Screaming Meme said...

Oh My Goodness....Yum...I want to reach in and grab one! :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Those look so yummy!!! Any thing with cream is a keeper!
-sandy toes

Sarah said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I think that is just what I have been craving!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh My!! Those look heavenly!! My butt is getting bigger just reading the recipe.....I might have to make those this weekend....they look devine!!

Thanks for the recipe!!

Happy Holidays!

Lisa

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I have a thing for oreos, so I'm sure that I would love these as well. They look delish!

Amanda said...

yum! they sound like a whoppie pie, have you ever had those?! any luck w/ the dishes?

AJ said...

Oh my! I love me some oreos! Definitely going to try that recipe!! Thanks:)

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Wow, does that sound full of calories, or what?? I need a few to satisfy my sweet tooth!!!

Free Art Printables said...

They look just like those little debbie cookies! They look yummy!

Jboo said...

Wow -- those sound so yummy and look so beautiful! Thanks for the tip!

Janet

duchess said...

Yummy.
They do look like the Little Debbie's.
Glad they were a hit.

Shannon said...

Those sound delicious! I will have to remember this one!

Inspired Kara said...

These look SOOOOOO good.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Those look tasty! I think we'll be up for new traditions too with this one. :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

yum...............................

Kristen said...

BLESS YOU! I've got a neighbor who makes these but they are sort of "her signature" thing. So I always felt a bit awkward asking for the recipe. La-ti-da, now I don't have to!! YUM!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how my husband would LOVE ME! Thanks, Carrie--I'll put this on my list for sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Wait! What are my options for vegetable shortening?? I never use those tub-of-fat things... Please help, someone! :)

Joanna said...

YUM! I can't wait to try these...Thanks!

Stacey said...

They look AMAZING!!!
I have her bookmarked. Her site looks FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing!

Sam said...

These look so good. I have a cookie exchange on Sunday. I think I finally found the cookie I'm going to make. thanks!

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, the first thing I thought of was the Little Debbies! Yummm - I love anything with cream in the middle! :)

Ally's Corner said...

When I first looked at the picture I thought she messed up her cookies and had to go buy some. Did she really buy the little Debbie oatmeal one? LOL Man, you did a GREAT job.
I bet they were soooooooo good.
Thanks for sharing how to make them.

Wendy said...

My sis-in-law makes these and you are right...they are divine! She took them to a cookie auction we were hosting at our church for a fundraiser, and one batch went for over $100! Yes, they're THAT good!

Darlene said...

I can't even make them because I WOULD eat the whole batch! They look delicious!!

Our Complete Family said...

I used to eat the ones your yummy cookies look like that you mentioned in your post...my mind is drawing a big blank. So...these will for sure be LOVED in our house, too! Thanks for sharing hun!
Hope you're well and having a super week!
Merry December hugs~ Les

blueladybug said...

These look so yummy!

jennykate77 said...

Oh, wow! YUMM-O! I'll have to write this one down and give it a try!!

Hope you're having a terrific Thursday!

cgharv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lana said...

They look SO good!

Carly said...

These cookies look FABULOUS!!! Alright, Im addicted to scrap blog (thanks to you!) but cannot figure out how to print my image? Can you help me?!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Carly,
To print from Scrapblog, you have to go to File--->Export as JPEG. Then it will save wherever you tell it to, and you can print it on your home computer or take it somewhere like I did. Hope that helps!
Carrie

Christy said...

Carrie~ I thought I should clarify my attempt at being funny... the Nester isn't really coming to my house. I sure need her to though to do some work on my windows and mantle. Our mantle is so long. You can't really tell by the picture I posted though. We also have the brick that I wish we could paint but because this is a parsonage, they would prefer that we didn't. Anyway, just wanted to clear that up:) Have a great evening!

Anonymous said...

sounds great! i can't wait to try them. thanks for sharing the recipe blog too, i will check it out.
~nicole

Julie said...

that is so great, considering I live overseas and don't get oreos... never really ate them in America, but since I am overseas... I do miss them. Thanks!@!!

Unknown said...

They do remind me of Little Debbies! I love them!!! I gotta try this.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, yea, nothing like some shortening and sugar to make a girl feel good!! I am not sure I want to try this goodness. I'd rather live in denial.

suzanne

cherry said...

I am trying sooo hard to get some weight off and you are NOT helping one bit! Rofl.....those look sooo delectible. Merry christmas, cherry

Jodee said...

Those look soooo delicious!

Sunny said...

Looks like a cross between a Fudge Round and a Oatmeal Pie! I knew what you were thinking! Little Debbie, say no more!

Harbor Hon said...

Carrie,
Please contact me by my email addy. I have the sweetest little bee necklace I would like to mail to you after the Christmas holiday. xxoo

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

oh my those look SO good, girl!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I just had these at a party a few weeks ago! They were my favorite thing by far! I was wondering what they were called and how I could find a recipe. Thanks!

AndreaLeigh said...

Yum! I've got these bookmarked just waiting for the perfect occassion.

The Golf Widow said...

I LOVE oreos.Making they at home won't help my waist.They sound yummy!
You really did have an early Christmas miracle. That was a steal!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I've checked out the other site as well...mmmm.

So much to make, so little time.

Stephanie said...

hello! I had to follow you JUST so I could get this recipe! lol that and I am soo copying your decorations! lol

Jo said...

These sound amazing ~ I will have to make these over the weekend! Yummy.

Jo

Lisa & Gerald said...

mmmm sounds so yummy!

Debra Howard said...

Those cookies look so good. I am going to have to try that recipe. Now I am hungry.
Debbie

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

I had to get back on here just to come get this recipe! Those look tooo good!