7.05.2010

My Refinished Tool Box

First of all, thank you SO much for your encouraging words about our move to San Francisco. I get totally overwhelmed if I think of all the details, so your comments help me to slow down and just take one step at a time. We are meeting with our real estate agent later today, so I will keep you posted!

I've been thinking about all my stuff, and which items to keep, which to sell, and which to re-vamp for our new (slightly cramped) California lifestyle. A long time ago I told you about this antique tool box.

I bought this tool box for my husband eight years ago. I envisioned us, boyfriend and girlfriend at the time, stripping and refinishing it together. Instead, during stolen naptime moments, Brent and I finally finished re-building and re-finishing this piece and decided that it would be great to store our two kids' toys. Never thought the project would take quite this long, but it's funny to see how far we've come!

Anyway, here's the story. The box had some water damage, and my talented husband removed the damaged boards and replaced them with new pine. I stripped the old finish off of the box, sanded it, and re-stained it (so that the old and new wood would match) with Minwax Early American stain. For a more complete tutorial on refinishing furniture, check out my series from last summer, which starts here.

The cool thing is that the original marks and imperfections still come through. And those are the original handles on the sides!

I sealed it with three coats of polyurethane in a matte finish. This tool box, eight years in the refinishing, is ready to hold all the toys our kids can throw at it.

Just in time, since our move to California will demand that we use every inch of space available to us. I need to get really creative with my storage options, girls! I'm thinking that this tool box might be a better place to store the kids' toys than, say, the kitchen oven?

Have a great week!


12 comments:

southerninspiration said...

Yes, def. more practical than the oven!!! Haha...great job; I love it!

Suzanne

ChRiS said...

came out fantastic and i like where you placed it

julie & joe said...

The tool box is beautiful!!! I envy your new adventure but I don't know if I'd be able to part with some of my crap...course, maybe I need to move far away so I'd be forced to purge :)

Connie said...

If you lived closer, I'd give you an old Marine Corps field desk that is something like a tool chest but vertical instead of horizontal, sweetpea. I'm going to try and get rid of it on Craigslist soon. I just don't have room for it anymore. Sigh...

xoxo,
Connie

Sandy's Scribbles, Poetry and Prose said...

It is absolutely beautiful...it is perfect where you placed it..

Unknown said...

That is so awesome. It turned out so great!!

Nancy

Kristin said...

Hi Carrie- you might look at Benicia. It a little more affordable and it's a very family friendly town. Good luck!
Kristin

Sarah said...

What exciting news about the move! I can't wait to follow you on this journey! Christy and I will definitely have to send an Midwest (Ohio) care package since you are moving farther west.

And the tool box...too cool!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

congratulations on your exciting news about moving to san francisco!!! can't wait to see all of your tips for when you put your house on the market, prepare for your move and decorate your fun new place in san francisco!!! :)

by the way - i now follow your friend's blog (henry's mom, three little kings) and haven't seen if they were able to go home from the hospital yet? i hope he is doing well and that they are all feeling a lot better about his health now!!!) if you know how he is doing, please let me know if you have a minute. my little four-year-old anne keeps remembering him when we are praying before bed at night.

Rebecca (Craving Simplicity) said...

Looks great!!! (Used-to-be-Mrs-Cup) :)

jen @ {decor junkie} said...

What a fun project! Isn't is funny how things always take longer than you plan on and before you know it, 8 years have passed! I think it will make a great toy box! Good luck with your move!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

How exciting to be moving to a whole new state! I used to live on the W.Coast and have been to SF many times - it's a wonderful city! Good luck with your move!

Manuela