7.24.2015

Milk Can Upgrade

Since our family has been spending so much time out on our patio while our interior is torn apart, I thought I'd take a brief detour from Kitchen Remodel 2015 and share with you a great little project for the outside! (Although truthfully this could work great for an indoor piece if you'd rather.)

One day I picked up this milk can for $5 at a garage sale.  I just love it when things start out this hideous!  Makes the transformation all the more gratifying. :)


I'd been looking for something to replace this old table outside.  It was fine, but starting to show some wear.  We inherited it from my husband's grandparents and though I'd already spray painted it to spruce it up, I think it was on it's last legs!


I'd read that Annie Sloan Chalk Paint was a good option for outdoors.  I totally agree!  This color is French Linen, with a dark wax coat on top.  I actually did this over a year ago, and it's still holding up great!


I picked up a wooden disk at Lowe's, stained it and sealed it with Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane by Minwax.  (It's the best for protecting wood for outdoor use, I think.  Thanks, Dad, for the recommendation years ago!)  If you look off into the distance of the photo below, you can see our kids' tree swing, made by gluing two of these same disks together.  I stained and sealed them the same way, and the swing has held up great too!

My husband attached the disk from the underside with some screws, but if you're not worried about small children tipping it over, you could probably get away with a strong glue (?).  We also put some sand in the base of the milk can to give it a little more stability.


Not bad for a $20 investment!


3 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great idea & a bargain at $20! The wood disc really makes it. So pretty all stained & sealed. Thanks for sharing! :)

Life at Still Woods said...

I agree, not bad at all! That was a great idea. I just purchased the same color of Annie Sloan paint. I am about to do my first chalk paint project...I know, I am way behind! I watched her tutorial videos and she said that her chalk paint can even be used to paint a house! My project is a library card catalog, so it won't be going outside, but it's nice to know it holds up.
Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Thank you Kimberly, I am in love with it! :)

And good luck Lynda!! I am sure it will turn out beautifully. I have found Annie Sloan to be different from using regular latex paint but not bad, and not any harder than latex. Just different. Let me know how it looks! :)
Carrie