2.07.2011

"Art" for the Poor

What I am about to share could be considered sacrilegious to some of you. But I'm going to risk it, for the sake of the rest of us.

What in the world am I talking about?

Art.

I constantly rip out pages from magazines to use for inspiration. The pages above and below both have unique wall pieces that are real art. Like, from people who are artists.

Unfortunately, our budget for pieces of real art from real artists is nonexistent. But what I did have was two of these oval frames. With nothing in them.

I really liked the look of some of those line art drawings in my inspiration photos. But, alas, I am not an artist, and, well, we've already discussed where my budget is in that department. So, I went to Michael's instead and bought a piece of nice artist paper and some charcoal pencils.

I found some free clip art online. (I just Googled things like "free" "images" "bee," "bike," etc. until I found something I liked.) The bike is for my husband, whose garage is not complete unless it holds at least five bikes at any one time. And the bee is for me. :)

I used graphite tracing paper (also from Michael's) to transfer the line art onto my fancy paper.

Then I went back with my charcoal pencil and traced over the lines.

I mixed my knockoff bike and bee art with my family wall in the kids' playroom.

Thank you free clip art!


18 comments:

Kimberly said...

I confess I know nothing about art but you're idea was rather clever (& affordable! ;) I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Christi said...

What a great idea - I especially love the bee!

The Starr Family said...

Sacrilegious please... after all you're creating with your God-given talent & hands ;) Clever idea btw!

Gretchen said...

Genius!

Shilo said...

Those are so sweet, Carrie! Good work! :)

Amber said...

Great idea Carrie! I never would have thought to transfer it and use charcoal to make it look like an actual drawing. I love this!

Your house is looking so great! You have put me to shame! You've been in your house for a couple of months and it looks complete. I've been in my house for a year and still have half painted walls. :/

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

looks awesome!!! great idea :) anne is wanting some cute owls to paint for decorations in her room -i will have to check out the clip art and the tracing paper so that she can have some cute owls to decorate with crayons and paint to frame for her room!!! i love all of the frames you have and how you have arranged them on your wall!!!

Unknown said...

ummm can I have the bee one? Please?! LOL xoxo

Kristin said...

What a great idea! I love how yours turned out.

Cheryl said...

like you i am not artitistically inclined to draw either of those on my own or have the budget either.
I love your ingenuity. Your "one of a kind artist renderings" look great on your wall.
Thanks for sharing.

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

What a great idea! It looks wonderful mixed in with your other pictures!!
~Crystal

arkie said...

Great remake!

Jeannetta said...

Fabulous!

Victoria said...

What a wonderful idea! Love how it all came together on the wall too.

Kristen@hillcountrycolonial said...

Yay! You did the tutorial I was hoping you would do. (-: Thanks. They look really great and so authentic. Now I'm just trying to figure out what "clip arts" I could use to define us.
Kristen

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. What a great idea. Art can be anything : ) As long as it inspires you and creates joy!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Kristen, I am glad I could oblige!! :)
Carrie

Screaming Meme said...

I love it, girl! :) Great job! I am back to blogging and wanted to stop in and catch up with one of my fav bloggers...

Hugs, Meme